Monday, February 21, 2011

When it's hard being a mom

So, let me preface this by saying that this probably isn't going to be the most positive, uplifting post.  But, I need to get this out.  Work my way through it, so to speak.  I was recently reading one of my favorite blogs, Enjoying the Small things at:  http://www.kellehampton.com/, and she was talking about how you can't cushion or protect your children from the world.  This is something I'm struggling with right now with Mia, as she gets ready to start kindergarten this fall.  We have to have her officially "labeled" for school, as the "developmental delay" label she has now won't work.  So, in 2 weeks, my sweet baby girl will be officially labeled as being mild, moderate or severe.  :(  Why?  Why can't she just be Mia?  I know that she'll get more services with an official label, but she is so much more than that, a label.  And you all know Mia, and how difficult she can be.  I'm so worried that she's going to not cooperate, be ornery, and just so dang loveable that they won't know what to make of her.  I WANT her to be in a classroom with "typical" kids her own age.  I WANT the world for her.  So, while I want to cushion her and protect her from the world, I've decided that I'm to go in armed with as much knowledge as I can to make sure she gets what she needs, and that includes the chance to do anything that she wants to do, so that she's able to have the world.
And to remind myself (and all of you) how much she has grown, here is a montage of her first 5 years.  I recommend playing any of these songs while you're watching:  Firework, The Climb, Upside Down or Just the Way You Are.

 




Love,
Jen

1 comment:

The Asays said...

WE love you! Beautiful posts.

Post a Comment